Photo from Unsplash
Originally Posted On: https://spiceworldinc.com/tips-and-tricks/maintaining-wellness-with-your-food/
If you’ve ever gotten a sluggish feeling after eating a meal, it could be because you’re consuming foods with a high refined sugar content. These foods are often unhealthy for us and tend to be ultra-processed. When your body consumes things like that, it responds by bringing too much glucose to the brain, which, as a result, can cause a person to feel tired, sleepy, and overall uncomfortable. If you want to avoid these feelings, it is important to learn about the ingredients in your food and how they affect your wellness. In this blog, we will go into what foods are good for your gut health and energy. We will share some healthy recipes you can make when you are on a busy schedule and post-workout meals that fuel your body with the right nutrients!
Importance of Consuming Garlic and Onions for Gut-Health
If you are trying to improve your gut health, consider incorporating garlic and onions into your diet. Garlic and onions support and promote healthy bacteria in your gut by acting as prebiotics in your system. Prebiotics have been shown to relieve symptoms of gut irregularity and gastrointestinal diseases. Additionally, they both contain high levels of fiber, which can help support a healthy digestive tract!
Gut-Healthy Recipes to Make on a Busy Schedule
When you are in a rush to get out the door, it can be hard to prepare a nourishing meal. To help support your busy lifestyle, here are two gut-healthy recipes that you can make when time is of the essence.
3-Minute Egg Scramble
Eggs are a great source of protein and vitamins, and incorporating them into a breakfast scramble is an easy way to satisfy your body with a fulfilling and healthy meal. In fact, it can be made even simpler with the use of Spice World’s Squeezable Easy Onion, all while helping your body receive the adequate nutrients needed for gut health support!
To make this egg scramble, you will need:
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of Spice World’s Squeezable Easy Onion
- ⅓ cup of spinach
- ⅓ cup of whole milk
- ¼ cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional: salt and pepper to taste
Egg scramble directions:
- In a bowl, add your egg, Spice World’s Squeezable Easy Onion, spinach, whole milk, and shredded cheese. Stir until well combined.
- To prevent splatters in the microwave, cover the bowl with a paper towel or plate. Microwave on high for three minutes.
- Once done, allow the egg scramble to sit in the microwave for a minute or two to prevent burning your hands on the hot bowl.
- Once cooled, remove from the microwave and enjoy!
15-Minute One-Pan Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
If you are trying to reduce your calorie intake during the day, consuming chicken and vegetables can help you satisfy your hunger in a healthy way. A whole chicken breast only contains 284 calories and has 53.4 grams of protein, and most servings of vegetables are under 100 calories and are packed full of vitamins and minerals! By preparing this 15-minute one-pan roasted chicken and vegetable meal, you can keep your body full, reduce your daily calorie intake, and supply your body with essential nutrients for gut-health support.
To make this chicken and vegetable dish, you will need:
- 1 chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons of Spice World’s Ready-to-Use Minced Garlic
- 1 cup of mixed vegetables (recommended options: broccoli, squash, carrots, and bell peppers)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Optional: 2 tablespoons of Spice World’s Slammin’ Moroccan Spice for flavor
Chicken and vegetable directions:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
- On two separate cutting boards, chop up your vegetables and chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- On a sheet pan, add your vegetables and chicken.
- Next, toss in the Spice World’s Ready-to-Use Minced Garlic, olive oil, and Spice World’s Slammin’ Moroccan Spice if desired. Mix until evenly distributed.
- When the oven is ready, place the pan in the oven and allow for the chicken and vegetables to cook for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, use a meat thermometer to check and make sure that the chicken is fully cooked (165 degrees F) and the vegetables are slightly charred in appearance. If they are, remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Post-Workout Recipes that Benefit Your Gut Health and Energy
After a good workout, you should eat a meal that will effectively sustain you. Enjoying foods high in carbohydrates and protein can be beneficial for your muscles by helping them build up their glycogen again. Carbohydrates are also one of the best ways for the body to replenish its energy. To prioritize your gut health, in addition to carbohydrates and protein, it is also important to include ingredients such as onions and garlic in your meals that support your gut. Here are two easy meals you can prepare after the gym that can supply you with adequate nutrition and gut support.
Chicken Burrito Bowl
This chicken burrito bowl is a fantastic source of protein, carbs, and fiber, and, with the inclusion of onions, this meal is great for your gut health. Enjoy a boost of protein from the chicken, fiber from the black beans, and carbohydrates from the rice. Oh, and don’t forget those veggies for a dish chock full of sustenance!
To make this chicken burrito bowl, you will need:
- 1 store-bought rotisserie chicken
- 1 tablespoon of Spice World’s Squeezable Easy Onion
- 1 cup of shredded lettuce
- 1 cup of premade white rice
- 1 cup of canned black beans
- 1 cup of canned corn
Burrito bowl directions:
- Separate the meat from the bones on the rotisserie chicken and place the meat in a medium-sized bowl. Throw the bones away in the trash.
- Set the bowl aside and drain the canned black beans and corn.
- Once drained, add the black beans, corn, lettuce, Spice World’s Squeezable Easy Onion, and white rice to the bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients and enjoy!
Tilapia is a lean protein, which means it contains less fat than other meats while still supplying 21 grams of protein. Protein helps the body repair muscle tissues that could have been strained during your workout. While protein does not contain as much energy as carbohydrates, protein is broken down slower in the body, allowing for the energy in it to be released for longer! Along with the inclusion of garlic, you can receive protein, energy, and gut-health benefits, making this a perfect choice for your post-workout meal.
To make this garlic tilapia dish, you will need:
- 1 tilapia filet
- 1 tablespoon of butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon of Spice World’s Ready-to-Use Minced Garlic
- Optional: juice of one lemon
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- While the oven is heating up, combine the melted butter and Spice World’s Ready-to-Use Minced Garlic in a small bowl.
- Place your tilapia on an oiled baking sheet and then pour the butter mixture over the tilapia.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the fish if desired.
- Once the oven is at 400 degrees, put the fish in the oven and allow it to cook for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, test to make sure the tilapia is ready by poking it with a fork. If it is ready, it will be flaky and white in color.
These delicious recipes are a great option if you want to maintain or improve your health! They are packed with nutrients and gut-healthy ingredients that can help you feel more energetic and give you a full stomach. For more nourishing and tasty flavors and ingredients, visit this link!
A Harvard Nutritionist And Brain Expert Avoids These 5 Types Of Foods That Can Make You ‘tired And Stressed’
Study On Prebiotic Effectiveness Of Neutral Garlic Fructan In Vitro
Foods to Eat and Foods to Avoid While Healing Your Gut
5 Minute Spinach and Cheddar Microwave Quiche in a Mug
How Many Calories in Chicken? Breast, Thigh, Wing, and More
15 Minute Healthy Roasted Chicken and Veggies
Timing Your Pre- and Post-Workout Nutrition
Here’s Why You Should Eat Tilapia After Your Workout
8 Healthy Ways To Boost Energy
Spice World, Inc.
8101 Presidents Dr
Orlando, FL 32809