Monsanto Company has released its 2017 Sustainability Report, Growing Better Together. The report demonstrates Monsanto’s commitment to sustainability and details the company’s progress against all of its goals including improving irrigation water efficiency which has the potential to save up to 80 billion gallons of water each year.
Monsanto has set a target of improving irrigation water efficiency of global seed production by 25% by 2020 and is more than half way to that goal. This represents just one of many advancements the company made on its environmental and social commitments in fiscal year 2017 (September 1, 2016 to August 31, 2017).
The 2017 Sustainability Report is organized along its Growing Better Together Sustainability Framework: Better Planet, Better Lives, Better Partner. Monsanto reports that it achieved the following:
- Through innovation and collaboration, Monsanto delivered three years ahead of schedule on helping farmers use nutrients more efficiently and curb greenhouse gas emissions on 1 million acres. This was done in partnership with GROWMARK System, a leading agricultural supply cooperative.
- Offset its carbon footprint by more than 200,000 metric tons – marking progress toward achieving a carbon neutral footprint by 2021 through operational improvements, new products and working with farmers to advance and adopt climate-smart practices.
- Received the Wildlife Habitat Council’s Corporate Conservation Leadership Award for demonstrating “an exemplary level of corporate commitment to biodiversity and conservation education, and meaningful alignments with global conservation objectives.”
- Invested $5 million annually in honey bee health research since 2013.
- Benefited 200,000 people by investing $3.5 million in clean water, sanitation and hygiene projects both at its facilities and in surrounding communities since 2014 as part of the World Business Council for Sustainable Development WASH Pledge.
- Reached more than 18.4 million people with Off-the-Job safety messages through more than 3,000 in-person events and social media efforts.
The full Monsanto 2017 Sustainability Report and highlight summary is available online at Monsanto.com/sustainability.
Tweet me: .@MonsantoCo demonstrates commitment to the #environment by working to improve irrigation water efficiency. Read about their efforts to positively impact the planet & combat #ClimateChange in their 2017 #Sustainability Report http://bit.ly/2BmRiYm via @ReportAlert
KEYWORDS: Research, Reports & Publications, Environment, ReportAlert, Monsanto